You’ve decided on luxury vinyl tile. Congratulations, you’ve made an excellent choice! Now, it’s important to understand how to clean and maintain your LVP to get the most out of your new floor!
As a general rule, newly installed LVP should remain untouched for the first 24 hours and cleaning should be avoided for the first two days. Manufacturers suggest using protective mats on floors to help protect against, dirt, grit, and substances that cause wear and tear.
Regular cleaning of luxury vinyl plank is fairly basic. Loose debris should be removed with a soft broom or sweeper. After that, a damp mop with a recommended cleaner is ideal. Bleach, household cleaners or any other detergents should not be used on LVP.
Spills should always be cleaned up immediately to avoid any residue or spots and stains. A number of common products such as nail polish, lipstick and permanent markers can cause discoloration, so any contact they have with you luxury vinyl plank should be addressed immediately. The best way to clean spills that may potentially cause damage is as follows:
- Wipe immediately with a cloth or paper towel.
- You may be able to remove spots that have already dried by carefully using a plastic scraper.
- The area should then be washed with a diluted cleaning agent using a damp cloth or sponge.
- More stubborn spots may be removed with a nylon sponge.
Additionally, we would recommend the following to maintain the quality of your new floors:
- Cover furniture legs and/or feet with soft pads to prevent scuffing and scratching.
- Make sure curtains, blinds and drapers are closed during periods of strong sunlight. Too much exposure can cause fading or discoloration.
- Avoid wearing high heels – they can cause scratching, scuffing and dents.
- Be careful when using matches, lighters, etc. because high heat and flames may cause damage.
Contact us to learn more about how to clean and maintain your floors.